
TLDR
An explosion tore through the Aeon Kumamoto shopping centre roughly 36 minutes after a magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck Kumamoto Prefecture on 28 July 2026, killing at least two women in their 20s after the building had already been evacuated. Japan's strict building codes kept most modern structures standing during the shaking, so the deadliest single site was destroyed not by the quake itself but by a suspected gas leak igniting afterwards. Thirteen people died across the region, with Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi warning rescue teams were in a race against time to reach those still trapped. More than 1,500 people sheltered across 181 evacuation centres in Kumamoto City as emergency operations continued into the following day.
KEY TAKEAWAYS
The danger that came after the shaking stopped
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck the Kumamoto region at 16:27 JST on 28 July 2026, sending roughly 200 people streaming out of the Aeon Kumamoto shopping centre in an orderly evacuation.[1] Thirty-six minutes later, with the mall standing empty, a blast tore through the complex. The quake had not killed anyone inside that building. The aftermath did.
Post-quake hazards sit at the centre of what happened in Kumamoto Prefecture on Tuesday. Engineers and seismologists will point to the codes that held. The families of two women in their 20s will point to the fire and smoke that followed the shaking.
What happened at Aeon Kumamoto
Japan's Fire and Disaster Management Agency confirmed that at around 17:03 on 28 July, the second floor of a commercial facility in Kashima Town collapsed following an explosion, prompting immediate rescue operations by local fire and emergency services.verifiedVerified Source: fdma.go.jp[2] Authorities pointed to a suspected gas leak as the ignition source, though investigations were still under way.
Two women in their 20s were pulled from the wreckage and later confirmed dead, bringing the Kashima Town toll to two of the 13 fatalities recorded across the prefecture.[2] A further fatality was recorded in Kōsa Town. The Aeon centre had only recently reopened after years of repairs following the 2016 magnitude 7.3 Kumamoto earthquake, which killed more than 270 people across the same region.
Why the building codes held everywhere else
Japan's post-2000 building standards, revised under the Building Standards Act, require structures to withstand major seismic events, and on Tuesday those codes broadly delivered. Andrew Mitchell, an assistant professor at Kumamoto University, said that earthquake detection and building resilience had "tamed the worst excesses of nature's effects upon human habitation."verifiedVerified Source: kumadaiquake.wordpress.com[5]
Studies of the 2016 Kumamoto quake found that newer buildings suffered little structural damage despite high-intensity shaking, a pattern that repeated itself on Tuesday as most modern structures across the prefecture rode out the 7.1 without collapse. The Aeon centre itself remained standing through the earthquake; it was the secondary event, the explosion, that brought the second floor down.
The wider toll and rescue effort
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi told reporters that "there are people who are still waiting to be rescued, and it's a race against time."[4] Thirteen people were confirmed dead across Kumamoto Prefecture by midday on 29 July, with rescue teams still working through collapsed structures in the hours that followed.
The Kumamoto City Disaster Headquarters recorded 181 evacuation centres open and sheltering 1,512 evacuees as of 21:00 JST on 28 July 2026.verifiedVerified Source: city.kumamoto.jp[3] Emergency services conducted dozens of rescue and fire-suppression operations across the city, drawing on the prefecture's enhanced disaster response capacity built after the 2016 disaster.
The same ground, a decade apart
The Japan Meteorological Agency recorded a maximum seismic intensity of 7 in Uki City and Hikawa Town, the highest level on Japan's scale, and issued a tsunami advisory for the Ariake and Yatsushiro sea areas at 16:29 JST.[1] That advisory was lifted at 18:10 JST after coastal monitoring showed no significant wave activity.
The quake struck at a depth of approximately 10 km, a shallow focus that amplifies surface shaking and helps explain both the intensity readings and the damage to older or already-compromised structures.[1] The Aeon Kumamoto centre had only just returned to full operation after repairs begun in the wake of the April 2016 quake, which remains the deadliest seismic event to hit Kumamoto Prefecture in the modern era, killing more than 270 people.
SOURCES & CITATIONS
- Japan Meteorological Agency, Kumamoto earthquake press release, 28 July 2026
- Fire and Disaster Management Agency, Kumamoto earthquake situation report, 29 July 2026
- Kumamoto City Disaster Headquarters, evacuation centre update, 28 July 2026
- AP News, Japan earthquake coverage, 28 July 2026
- Andrew Mitchell, Kumamoto University, personal account of Kumamoto seismic resilience
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What caused the explosion at the Aeon Kumamoto shopping centre?
How many people died in the Kumamoto earthquake on 28 July 2026?
Did the earthquake trigger a tsunami?
Why did most buildings survive the quake intact?

Simon Wu writes about Asia-Pacific markets and China's economy. He reads the Chinese-language financial press closely and looks for the stories that reach Australia before anyone here notices.



